Showing posts with label Tower Cranes. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Tower Cranes. Show all posts

Wednesday, 2 December 2009

Will a tower crane register improve safety in the construction industry?

Question: Will a tower crane register improve safety in the construction industry?

72% = Yes
21% = No
7% = Don't know

More than two thirds believe it will.

In January this year, the HSE board that a national register of tower cranes should be established. the decision came in response to a number of high profile incidents involving tower cranes in recent years - which have resulted in eight deaths since 2000 - and a recommendation from the Work and Pension Select Committee that such a register is needed. The proposed Notification of Conventional Tower Cranes Regulations would require employers who use conventional tower cranes (those assembled on site) to give certain information to the HSE, which the executive would then make publicly available. The creation of a statutory tower crane registration scheme to improve tower crane safety and public confidence in their safety is likely to be in place by April 2010.

Wednesday, 16 September 2009

Crane Hire Firm Fined Over Deaths

A crane hire company has been fined after two workers fell to their deaths when a crane collapsed.

Gary Miles, 37, and Steven Boatman, 45, from Berkshire, died in 2005 as the 118ft (36m) tower crane was being dismantled in Durrington, West Sussex.

They were working for Eurolift (Tower Cranes) Ltd, which was taken over by WD Bennett Plant & Services Ltd in 2003.

Eurolift was fined £50,000 for health and safety breaches and £1,000 in costs, at Chichester Crown Court.

The Hampshire-based company had admitted the breaches of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 at an earlier hearing.

Judge William Wood said the company deserved to be fined up to £200,000, but he accepted it would not be able to afford it as it had ceased operations since the accident.

WD Bennett, based in Gloucestershire, is currently in administration and will be sentenced when financial information becomes available.

It had denied both health and safety breaches but was found guilty following a trial at the same court in March.

The crane had been used in the construction of a school in Durrington before it collapsed.

A third man, Dave Smith, suffered broken bones in the incident.

During the trial, he told the court he had been asked to loosen the bolts of the crane's tower despite having no training.

Witnesses described hearing "a noise like pistol shots" as the crane collapsed while Mr Miles and Mr Boatman were still up it.

Both men were flung off, and died of multiple head and chest injuries.

Jurors heard there had been a "management vacuum" at the site because the person in charge of health and safety was off sick on the day of the accident.